Are you wondering whether you can microwave parchment paper? You’re not alone. Many people are interested in whether or not they can use parchment paper in the microwave.
Parchment paper is an amazing way to cook or heat your food without using oils. You can mostly use it for baking things. After all, parchment paper is a kind of paper, and you know that microwaving paper can cause a fire. So, it does happen when we microwave, or can you microwave parchment paper?
Believe it or not, but that’s true, you can easily microwave parchment paper because it is completely safe. But it is not enough to know about microwaving parchment paper. There are more important things to know about it.
Basically, Parchment paper is a non-stick way to cook food in the microwave, that’s why it’s safe to put inside the microwave. In this helpful post, we will mention some best ways to use parchment paper in the microwave so that you can cook or heat your meal properly every time. So let’s get started for further detail!
What Is Parchment Paper?
However, Parchment paper is also known as bakery paper and cooking paper. This is a silicone-treated, heat-resistant paper that helps you to bake. There is no need to add any kind of fat or oil while using parchment paper.
Being nonstick, it is so easy to clean. Parchment paper has the ability to bear high temperatures without burning or melting. And this is so amazing. Basically, it is made from semi-translucent paper that is non-stick and heat-resistant.
Can You Microwave Parchment Paper?
Well, microwaving parchment paper is safe but you must have an idea about using the right type of parchment paper.
- You cannot use Silicone-coated parchment paper because the paper can easily melt when exposed to high temperatures.
- Uncoated parchment paper is made of natural material. so that is safe to use in the microwave. This kind of paper is designed to be non-stick and safe for the microwave.
However, there are a few noticeable things that you should keep in mind when microwaving parchment paper:
- Parchment paper is specifically designed to use for the microwave but you should never touch the sides of the microwave because the heat from the microwave might cause the parchment paper to catch fire.
- You should never use any foil or metallic items with parchment paper because it can cause sparks and a fire hazard.
- You should place your meal directly onto the parchment paper before placing it into the microwave.
- While microwaving the parchment paper should be fully flat on the bottom of your microwavable container. Otherwise, there are chances of hot spots developing and damaging your meal.
- Never use to cover a dish that is being microwaved because the steam starts too generated during cooking and it might be because the parchment paper buckle and warps.
- While using parchment paper to line a baking sheet, then the food on the parchment paper should not too close to the edge of the sheet.
How Long Can You Microwave Parchment Paper?
If we talk about thin parchment paper, it is safe for a few seconds, on the other hand, thicker paper can be able to microwave for a long time. Microwave for a Long time might cause the paper to become break down.
That’s why it is better to use parchment paper only for short time. Well, Parchment paper comes in a variety of different thicknesses that do matter a lot because the thickness of the paper affects how long it can be safe to microwave. So you can select the parchment paper according to your requirements.
When Should You Not Use It In The Microwave?
Keep in mind that parchment paper is not so well for cooking meat, because it has not the ability to absorb the fat drippings. In this way, parchment paper is unsuitable to use for long cooking and also high temperatures because long time and temperature can catch fire. If you need to use parchment paper in your microwave, then you have to keep a close eye on the food as it cooks faster than usual in order to avoid any burns.
Which Is Better In the Microwave: Wax Paper Or Parchment Paper?
Basically, Wax paper is coated with a thin layer of wax and this coating makes a non-stick surface and moisture-resistant. This makes it amazing for wrapping up food, so in this way, it will prevent the food from sticking to the wax paper.
But this is also true wax paper is not heat-resistant, so you cannot use it in your microwave. On the other hand, if we talk about parchment paper, we can say that it is treated with a heat-resistant silicone coating which makes it ideal for lining baking in cake pans, as it can bear high temperatures without burning.
But that’s true parchment paper is not as moisture-resistant as wax paper, so it is not good for wrapping up wet or greasy foods. So the best thing to do is that, For wrapping up dry food, you can select wax paper while for lining baking sheets and cake pans, you can go with parchment paper.
Safety Tips while using Parchment paper
- First of all, you must be sure that the parchment paper is FDA-approved for microwaves because there are many parchment papers that are not made with materials that are safe for microwaves. So you should be careful about that.
- You should not use parchment paper that has grease-stained. Because the grease might cause the parchment paper to fire.
- Keep in mind that, you need to place the food on the parchment paper, not underneath it. Because when the heat generates from the food then it can cause the parchment paper to catch fire.
Can you put parchment paper in the microwave? So, yes you can. But there are some important things to keep in mind while microwaving the parchment. We have mentioned these helpful tips above that will help you. So that’s all you need to learn about that. We hope this article will help you a lot!