As we all know, the microwave is one of the most useful appliances that is used to cock, heat and reheat your meal in a short time. It becomes a necessary part of your kitchen. There are a lot of benefits to using the microwave but it is also true, there is some concern about using the microwave.
Well, One of the biggest concerns of people with microwaves is that can microwave leak radiation. And if so, is there anything to do about microwave leaks? Through this article, you will learn about microwave radiation also a pretty simple test to check the radiation leak in your microwave oven. So let’s get started for more detail!
Basically, a faulty door can also be the basic reason for leak radiation. Well, the leaks will not cause you to become radioactive but microwave leaks can generate extreme heat, and it’s a big concern. So we must say that if you notice an issue with your door or any other problem with your microwave, then you should not take it lightly.
Because these are some issues that can lead to serious problems. If your microwave door isn’t closing properly or it isn’t providing a proper seal, then you have to repair it immediately. You cannot do it by yourself, this can be done by an experienced microwave repair person.
Well, it is a rare chance to get Injuries from a microwave radiation leak. As you know, Microwave ovens use electromagnetic radiation which are waves of energy. There are so many kinds of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, visible light, s-rays, and also gamma rays.
The radiation that can be used in a microwave is called non-ionizing. You don’t so worry about that because it would not affect DNA cells and you won’t get cancer from a leaky microwave. But we must say, it’s never a good idea. There should be a gap in the seal because it can lead to skin burns. You should never use your leaky microwave. Instead, to you, you have to repair it first.
How to test the leakage of microwave radiation?
Well, if you have any doubt about the leakage of microwave radiation, then it is better to confirm first if the is happening or not before using the microwave. If so, then repair it first. Well, there are two easy ways to test the microwave radiation issue:
1. Radiation Detector
The first and simple way to determine the leaking radiation of your microwave is to use a microwave radiation detector.so, you have to check if the radiation detector detects high-frequency signals from microwave ovens.
You just need to check the product description and reviews before buying it. Microwave radiation detectors cost caught be between $20 and $200. A radiation detector helps you a lot to check out the leakage fault but if you want to save money, then you can use your smartphone.
2. Cell Phone
Using your cell phone is a good idea if you have no radiation detector. If you have Wi-Fi that operates on a 2.4 GHz band, then you can easily use the cell phone to check out if a microwave is leaking radiation. Well, your microwave should read 5 mW or less at a distance of about two inches from the microwave, according to the FDA.
Well, you have to on your Wi-Fi and make sure to check Cellular data transmits and receives signals between 800 and 1900 MHz When the Microwaves emit a 2.4 GHz signal that means it is much higher and Wi-Fi matches this higher frequency.
Now the question is that why do frequencies differ between mobile phones and microwaves? So, your microwave is much larger than your phone that’s why it needs enough power to heat food quickly. Here is how to check the microwave leak radiation on your cell phone:
- First of all, you have to unplug your microwave and put your phone inside and call on your phone.
- If Cellular data transmits and receives signals, that means there is a lower frequency compared to Wi-Fi and microwaves. Well if the data of your cell phone is on, then the test won’t work properly and your phone will always ring.
- So you have Wi-Fi enabled since most Wi-Fi networks operate at 2.4 GHz, which is equal to a microwave. If you turn off the phone’s cellular data, then you can use Wi-Fi to make Wi-Fi calls. Here you need to see that Wi-Fi operates on either a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band and the Microwaves also operate at 2.4 GHz.
- Now, check your Wi-Fi settings to determine that your network is 2.4 GHz.
- Next, you have to put the phone in the microwave with the appropriate settings. The simple fact is that Cellular data should be off and the Wi-Fi network should be 2.4 GHz.
- Now you have to call. While calling if you hear no ring, then your microwave is not leaking radiation but if you hear a ring that means your microwave is leaking radiation. Now you should never use it in this condition.
You should be careful that your leaking microwave is a danger to your health. If the phone starts ringing, there might be a seal on your door, or the door interlocking mechanism is broken. Now you have replaced or repaired your microwave.
Well, microwaves can leak radiation. You should be careful about that. And if you have any doubt about the leakage of your microwave then you must need to check the radiation first because it can be so dangerous. We have mentioned two simple ways to check whether the microwave is leaking radiation or not. So it is better to check the fault first before using it. So that’s all you need to about “can microwave leak radiation”? We hope so, this article will help you a lot!